You are here

Claiborne Parish

Map of Claiborne ParishClaiborne Parish is the namesake of the first American governor of Louisiana, William C. C. Claiborne.  Established in 1828, Claiborne was carved from the vast parish of Natchitoches.  At the time of the parish’s inception its territory included the present day parishes of Bossier, Bienville, Webster and portions of Lincoln, Red River, Winn, and Jackson.

DOTD Tourism Map of Claiborne ParishFilled with buffalo, deer, turkeys, and other wild game, early settlers found an important regional hunting ground in Claiborne Parish.  After the parish’s first cotton gin was erected in 1824, cotton became the parish’s leading crop, and Claiborne Parish was home to the state’s first cotton factory.

Cotton continues to be a mainstay of the parish’s economy along with other agricultural crops such as corn, soybeans, peanuts, and sweet potatoes.  Oil production and the forestry industry also supplement Claiborne’s income.  Some of the parish’s annual festivals, such as Northwest Louisiana Dairy Festival and Oil Patch Festival, celebrate Claiborne’s agricultural and industrial pursuits.

by Alana A. Carmon

Principle Towns

Athens

Haynesville

Homer

Lisbon

Claiborne Parish Tourism Commission

 

Historic Sites, Plantations & Museums

Herbert S. Ford Museum (Homer)

National Register of Historic Places

 

Wildlife Preserves

Caney Lakes Recreational Area

Lake Claiborne State Park

 

Lagniappe

Claiborne Parish Courthouses

Claiborne Parish Public Library

LSU AgCenter