You are here

East Carroll Parish

Map of East Carroll ParishIn March 1832, the state legislature created Carroll Parish, stretching from Morehouse Parish on the west to the Mississippi River on the east.  DOTD Tourism Map of East Carroll ParishOn March 26, 1877, legislation signed by Louisiana's governor divided Carroll Parish into eastern and western parts divided by Bayou Macon.  Lake Providence served as the initial seat of justice in East Carroll Parish, and the town remains the parish's governmental center.

Throughout its early history, East Carroll Parish was a cotton plantation area.  During the Civil War, General Ulysses S. Grant attempted unsuccessfully to bypass the Confederate defenses at Vicksburg by ordering his men to dig a canal diverting the Mississippi River from its existing channel.

East Carroll Parish is perhaps best known for the Louisiana State Cotton Museum and the beautiful scenery lining the oxbow just outside of Lake Providence.  The region is also an important gateway to the famous Poverty Point archaeological site to the west.

by Carl A. Brasseaux and Alana A. Carmon

Principle Towns

Lake Providence



East Carroll Parish Tourism Commission

Events and Festivals

Louisiana Soul Food and Heritage Festival (Lake Providence)

Historic Sites, Plantations & Museums

Panola Pepper (Lake Providence)

Louisiana State Cotton Museum (Lake Providence)

National Register of Historic Places

Wildlife Preserves

Bayou Macon Wildlife Management Area


LaDelta 65 Byway

Minsky Pecan Market (Lake Providence)

East Carroll Parish Library

East Carroll Parish Courthouses

Teddy Roosevelt's Bear Hunt

LSU AgCenter