You are here

Lincoln Parish

Map of Lincoln ParishNamed in honor of Abraham Lincoln and established in 1873, Lincoln Parish was carved from parts of Bienville, Jackson, Claiborne and Union parishes.

The earliest settlements were established during the early nineteenth century, with development peaking in the 1830s.  Many of the settlers were from the southeastern states of Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina.

DOTD Tourism Map of Lincoln Parish

During the late nineteenth century, Lincoln Parish became the educational hub of North Louisiana after the Louisiana Educational Association of the Louisiana Chautauqua Society constructed a major facility unlike any other in the South.  Accommodating nearly two thousand individuals, the site trained many teachers between 1891 and 1905.

Largely a woodland parish, the economy of Lincoln is dependent on the forestry industry and the manufacture of wood and glass products.  Since the early 1980s, Lincoln Parish has also generated substantial revenues from peach production.  Often regarded as the Peach Capital, nearly one million dollars of the Lincoln Parish’s income results from peaches.  The crop’s importance to the community is celebrated annually at the Peach Festival.

by Alana A. Carmon

Principle Towns

Choudrant

Dubach

Grambling

Ruston

Simsboro

Lincoln Parish Tourism Commission

Events and Festivals

Louisiana Peach Festival (Ruston)

Historic Sites, Plantations & Museums

Autrey House Museum (Dubach)

Lincoln Parish Museum (Ruston)

Louisiana Military Museum (Ruston)

Eddie G. Robinson Museum (Grambling)

National Register of Historic Places

Wildlife Preserves

Lincoln Parish Park

Jackson Bienville Wildlife Management Area

Lagniappe

Grambling State University

Louisiana Tech University

Lincoln Parish Library

Lincoln Parish Courthouses

LSU AgCenter